Do we need photo releases?
A photo release is not required for the use of an individual’s image or likeness if all of the following apply:
- The individual is or was a student at, or a member of the faculty or staff of, The Ohio State University.
- The use of the individual’s image or likeness is for educational purposes or for the promotion of the university and its educational or institutional objectives, with the exception of student-athletes’ images and likenesses, which requires review and permissions from Athletics.
A photo release is required for individuals under the age of 18, patients and those not meeting both criteria above.
See the Ohio Revised Code 2741.09 Exceptions for more details.
How to plan for your photographic needs
Tips and best practices
- Request a consultation with a MarCom representative.
- Communicate with the photographer the nature of the photography service being requested, event, studio, headshots, classroom or other. Determine how many will be involved in the session.
- Create a timeline for the preparation and day of service. Include information about the delivery needs. Allow 2 weeks or more to schedule a photography session.
- Check your location for access, lighting and power. Identify any barriers.
- Prepare photography subjects by suggesting appropriate wardrobe like professional wear or Buckeye gear.
- Make sure everyone who is photographed is covered by a release or meets the university standards for photography.
- Pay close attention to all safety and personal protective equipment (PPE) protocols in settings such as labs and other work spaces. All people and activities represented in our photos must be shown following university safety guidelines in our photographs. If in doubt, contact staff at Environmental Health and Safety, who can help guide your work.
Learn more at brand.osu.edu/brand-platform/visual/photography or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EHE has photos available that have been reviewed and approved for use on all kinds of creative projects. Use your OSU credentials to view the selection of photos from events, shots around campus, professional head shots and more!
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Send details of what you need.
Have a photo you’d like to submit to be used for projects? Send it to the team.
More questions or need to set up a consultation? Contact our team.